Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The King's Speech


Image via


I'm usually not one to run to the Cineplex when a movie comes out, unless it's one I know I will want to see. The King's Speech is one such movie that is getting enough buzz to persuade me to see it and I think it just might sweep come Oscar time.  It's about King George VI, younger bother of King Edward who abdicated the throne in 1936 for one Mrs. Wallis Simpson. George, or Bertie, as he was known, was plagued with stuttering and had to address the people of England when duty called as events led up to the Second World War. The film highlights the relationship between Bertie and his speech therapist, played by Geoffrey Rush. Two men of different social classes, working through their differences and learning to get along for an ultimate purpose. I love the tale of the underdog in this story and who doesn't want to see the underdog triumph, nowadays? Definitely a go see.






No comments: